65 Minions
106 Overlords
AlexandrasAdventures

Alexandra's Adventures in Books

The real world is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Just an occasional lurker here.  I won't post much blog content until/unless Booklikes institutes Privacy options.

Review: Margin Play

Margin Play - Eric Plume

When I started this book I really didn't know much about it. Once I started it I didn't want to put it down, I was immediately drawn into the story.

Amber is tough, but in a way that is very human and realistic.  She cares about her friends.  I related to her and liked her.  The other primary characters are well fleshed out and feel like real people I got to know.  The story flows and drew me in, I never felt it dragged, but also didn't find it so quick that I didn't get a chance to get a good feel for the characters.

There is a lot of action and tension in this book, but also humor and a bit of romance.  And I enjoyed it very much.  I ended up spending much of my weekend reading rather that the many things I should have been getting done.  I will definitely be picking up the next book.

For fans of suspense and drama of PI type novels this is a great story.  But I think others may enjoy it too.  A story that stands up for the little guy being squashed by the big and powerful resonates for so many of us.

I feel it's usually unwise and unfair to make comparisons to well-known and popular books, but I will say this most reminded me (in the best of ways) to the types of stories William Bernhardt writes.  Characters we can care about and root for with danger, action and plenty of bad guys.

I was also very pleased the author did not forget the cat! It's one of my pet peeves that I've noticed in some books where the MC owns a pet the pet is mentioned, and then it isn't.  That some books have the MC going off or something happening to them, and there's no mention of the pet.  Being me I always wonder, "But, what about the cat?!".  In this book Amber acts like a pet owner and doesn't forget the cat.  I appreciated that.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in consideration of an honest review.  Thank you Eric for the opportunity to read this book, I enjoyed it.