61 Minions
107 Overlords
AlexandrasAdventures

Alexandra's Adventures in Books

The real world is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Primarily reads Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Mysteries. From Children's to Adult.

Haven - A.R. Ivanovich, Michelle Ivanovich

I see there were earlier versions of this book.  If there were any issues with those versions I certainly don't see them in the version I read, which was released in January 2016.

I found this story imaginative, interesting, well written and well paced.

Haven Valley is a large area of various towns surrounded by "impenetrable mountains".  It's a peaceful and crime free society that has been isolated for seven hundred years after, "Our forebears demolished the tunnels out of Haven Valley..."

The inhabitants enjoy some technology, and have electricity and indoor plumbing. But research in flight is forbidden, attempting to leave Haven is a crime.

Katelyn is curious, she's been known to wander and explore, and she wants to know what is outside the walls of their mountainous fortress.  "Where did we come from before we colonized Haven, and why can't we go back?" She wonders.  Wouldn't you?  I know I would.

I was very impressed with Katelyn.  I liked her.  She's a believable mix of spunk, loyalty, doubt, fear, and naivete.  I cared about her, and I rooted for her.

She has "a knack for finding what" she looks for, and what she looks for is a way out of Haven.

Many of us are familiar with Young Adult heroes or heroines who are special in some way, a "chosen one".  What I found very refreshing in this story is that while Katelyn has abilities, which are learned about later in the story, she is not unique.  And she's not instantly a master, she must learn, she lacks knowledge, experience and confidence.  And through it all she remains a seventeen year old girl who's gotten herself into a situation that is over her head.

There is a bit of an appearance this story might develop a love triangle.  For those of you who, like me, dislike love triangles I can tell you there is not one here.

I am very glad I picked this one up, and have already purchased the next book in the series.

I was provided a copy of this book by Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.  If I hadn't liked it I would have said so with no hesitation.  However I am pleased to have discovered another very good story.