65 Minions
106 Overlords
AlexandrasAdventures

Alexandra's Adventures in Books

The real world is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Just an occasional lurker here.  I won't post much blog content until/unless Booklikes institutes Privacy options.

Never Fails To Cheer Me Up: In Death Series by J. D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts)

Naked in Death - J.D. Robb

Another category where I can think of several books that fit for me.  I chose to go with a series that probably seems like a very odd choice, but stick with me here a minute.

I have read every published book in this series to date, and most of the "1/2" short stories.  The majority I have read at least twice, most more times than that.

I have most of these on audio, and I often will listen to them again.  The characters in this series have become like old friends, not only Dallas and Roarke, but also Peabody, McNabb, Mavis and several others.

They grow, have sorrows, struggles and triumphs throughout the series.  Dallas is snarky, driven, prickly and acquires friends almost against her will and to her surprise, and sometimes annoyance.  Yet she is a loyal friend.  Delightfully and realistically imperfect, but still likable, relatable and sympathetic.  And darn funny.  She can kick butt and take names.  She's ferocious in her determination to stand for the dead and bring them justice.  But also, Dallas is wounded, and we learn about this as more is revealed, and as Dallas deals with her wounds, throughout the series.  And Roarke, richest man in the universe - literally - is the one of the sexiest, coolest, and loyal "book boyfriends" I can think of.

So, when I need a bit of cheering up, or away time from real life, I can often be found immersed in the world of my friends from the "In Death" series.